Tuesday 23 February 2016

Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate

I was in Enugu and went to Ogbete market to buy red oil and discovered the price skyrocketed. Usually, I buy 10 liters of red oil #2,800 but it went up to #3,500.

When I asked the elderly woman why the price went up, she said, "nwa m, okwa asi na dollar tinyere ego" (My son, they said that dollar has appreciated).

And I was like, "mama kedu nke gbasara dollar na mmanu igbo, (But Mama, What has dollar got to do with igbo palm oil) that u get from ur village" and she replied, "ihe nine tinyere ego na Enugu, asi na dollar adiro" (Every thing is now expensive because of dollar)
.
Thats the ugly situation of our economy today. Our economy is regulated largely by external and foreign forces.

We always blame the leadership but it is us (Me and You) who actually messes this nation up. How does dollar affect palm oil which this woman harvested at home and processed and then brought to the market.

I also visited a friend's fish farm and he was telling his workers that he will increase the price of fish per kilo, I asked why and he complained of dollar increase. This is a man who gets fish feed from a nearby brewery.

Even my landlord has informed us that our house rent has increased because of the dollar. Yet we all blame Buhari when its is us who is messing up the economy.

The greatest saying of all times for me is from Nelson Mandela who stated that Poverty is Man Made. Why are we always opportunistic and willing to prey on each other. we capitalize on the disadvantages of another to enrich ourselves. this horrible.

The climax came when my wife came home from church last sunday and informed me that Ukochukwu (Pastor) said that people show now be sowing seed in foreign currency so that God will reward them in foreign currency. that those who give god Naira will be blessed in Naira but if you give God Dollars, Then you must reap in Dollars.

Brethren, Where do we go from here?


http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/02/greedy-nigerians-cashing-in-on-rising.html

No comments:

Post a Comment